Monday 16 July 2012

Recent Efforts Online- Twitter

The main effort I have tried to apply to my job search is to make my online profile as informative and professional as possible. My Twitter account is geared towards business as well as leisure: I follow charity job recruiters, headhunters, people who work for charities, charities themselves, volunteering databases and various jobsites, as well as several Guardian Twitter feeds geared towards the voluntary and charity sectors, as they often post links to really useful articles about job hunting and raising your profile, as well as inside tips and interviews with influential people.
I read a lot of online articles and these are where I have learnt to apply a professional approach and to change with the times- as everything is online now it's more important than ever to get your name out there, to have more than just an isolated island in the ocean that is the internet, indeed to have signposts and regular ferry links to your island paradise. I think this metaphor is still working?!

I also think it's really important to follow people on Twitter that inspire you. People that are successful in their career as well as specifically in the industry you want to be in encourage and motivate you to do more to promote yourself. For instance I follow a friend from my 6th form who is really successfully starting up her own events company, and always tweets motivating quotes, her high and low experiences and most importantly what she is learning along the way. This motivates me as I see how well she is doing and I want the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment